Saturday, July 21, 2012
Sunday, July 8, 2012
Meg and I decided to take a trip to mystic, CT and we ended up at Margaritas! Meg had a Mexican Iceberg which is a frozen marg floated atop a draft dos equis... a weird combo but refreshing on this super hot day. I had a palomos which was tequila, lime juice, sierra mist and blood orange...so good, but on the stronger side.
Saturday, July 7, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of fruity beer with the exception of #9 but my sister loves it. She tried this a week or so ago when she was traveling through NC. Here is her take on it . Red color, full of raspberry flavor, great dessert beer or fruit beer berry finish.
I have a ton more reviews coming soon. Cheers
Ps love the raspberrys in your photo!
Monday, May 21, 2012
This past mothers day my mom took a drive out from Myrtle Beach to visit my sister in Greensboro NC where she is going to school. My sister made reservations at Grove Winery and Vineyard for a tasting and tour and this is their experience.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Thursday, May 10, 2012
Appearance: Clear, pale, yellow with little to no head that disapates almost instantly.
Smell: Corn, grain...kinda blah
Taste: Slightly bitter, corn, grainy
Feel: Light, thin feel with a decent amount of carbonation.
Overall: It's nice to change things up just so at least you can say you tried it... Next time I think I might stick with another Mexican beer.
Thursday, May 3, 2012
I have got to say it is pretty delicious especially mixed with Coke Zero. It has that Whiskey burn however a sweetness to it that really goes along way, even Meg thought it wasn't that bad...and she usually cringes at the idea of Whiskey.
If you have the chance check it out, you may opt for the Jack and Honey also a great option.
Saturday, April 28, 2012
Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a small head.
Smell: A wonderful smelling beer, fruity, smells of citrus, wheat and a hint of blueberry.
Taste: Amazing fruity flavor, orange really pops...but the best way to really describe this beer is it tastes almost identical to fruity pebbles cereal. Yes you read that right. If you don't believe me then you have got to go pick some up and give it a try.
Feel: Smooth, lightly carbonated.
Overall: Loved this beer. I am a big fan of fruit beers such as Magic Hat #9 or other beers like this one that are not over bearing with fruit flavor. I could drink this beer over and over, its so refreshing and at 4.2% alc vol.
Saturday, April 21, 2012
Smell: Nice aromas of hops, sweet, grassy, and CITRUS!
Taste: Bready, malty, cereal flavors with a refreshing hop citrus flavor. So good.
Feel: This brew is light bodied, with light carbonation, not to sweet and not to bitter, and in my opinion has great drinkability. At 4.2% alc volume I could drink these all day, they are almost thirst quenching. I can see myself drinking this beer all summer, at a BBQ, the beach, late night campfire.
Overall: This beer is a great addition to my summer brew rotation. I would definitely recommend you give this brew a shot at least once. Another cool thing about this beer is its made about 20 minutes from my house.
Monday, April 16, 2012
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Smell: Oakey, fruity, predominantly notes of cherry jumped out at me.
Taste: Oakey at first, but hints of mostly cherry and blackberry.
Feel: Medium bodied wine with a velvety feel.
Overall: For $11.99 you can't beat this wine, not to mention its a MAGNUM! It went very well with the Filet, may have been a little overpowering for the scallops but I guess you can't get to picky for the price. This wine would be great to have on hand for small unexpected get together's. In my opinion it does well compared to Robert Mondavi's Private Selection :)
Thursday, April 5, 2012
Taste: Very very refreshing, citrus lemony, grassy
Feel: Smooth, low to medium carbonation!
Overall: Loved this, probably my new favorite summer beer! Unbelievably refreshing, I could drink this over and over again.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
So today I splurged a bit and went for the good stuff... a case of Magic Hats summer variety pack! (not to mention it includes two beers on my beer quest list) For this review I couldn't help myself but to try the Elder Betty, so here goes.
Appearance: Golden orange but with a touch of haziness to it.
Smell: Distinctive berry aroma with a solid wheat and grain background
Taste: This one caught me off guard, upfront a grainy, grassy flavor but then as it settles the second flavor hits you in the face and it was very berry flavor with a hint of tartness...so good.
Feel: Smooth, not what I expected from a summer brew because it wasn't super crisp but then again I kinda liked that because overly carbonated beers are not my favorite.
Overall: This weiss style beer has a nice fruity finish, not over powering in flavor, something I can definitely see myself drinking over and over on a hot day. Nice change up if you a partial to the many lemon and lime flavored summer brews out there.
Monday, April 2, 2012
- 1 (5-pound) duck
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup pitted prunes, halved
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut in wedges
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 pint dried rye bread cubes, crusts off
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fruity red wine, such as Pinot Noir
- 2 cups chicken stock
Friday, March 30, 2012
- Appearance: A dark deep purple red color
- Smell: Very oakey at first but settles after a little bit. Hints of blackberry, plum and vanilla.
- Taste: Oakey, slightly sweet, blackberry, cherry
- Feel: This wine had a medium body with a velvety smooth feel to it.
- Overall: I must say I am very happy Leanne brought this to the tasting it is without a doubt one of my favorite bottles and for $10.99 you can't go wrong. This wine would pair well with another bottle or with a sharp cheddar cheese. Yeah now I'm hungry!
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
- Appearance: This wine was a distinctive dark ruby with a shade of plum to it.
- Smell: Dark berry's like blackberry and a hint of blueberry, plum, and raspberry
- Taste: Up front it's sweet, blackberry and plum really come through in the finish
- Feel: Very smooth and silky
- Overall: Loved this wine, it was on the sweet side but it paired well with the gorgonzola flank steak pinwheels we made, the contrast of sweet and salty was great. I would definitely recommend this wine and if you have the time please take a drive out to their vineyard in Little Compton RI they have an amazing setup.
9 out of 10
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
- Appearance: Poured a hazy copper color with a small frothy head
- Smell: Grainy, earthy, floral, malty, with an overshadowing hoppiness...the smell doesn't do it justice.
- Taste: Starts off malty with some herbal flavors but then quickly has a bitter hop flavor and finishes grassy.
- Feel: Light, on the smooth side, kind of creamy.
- Overall: Being a advocate of IPA's I enjoyed this beer and found it to have good drinkability. Cheers!
Saturday, March 24, 2012
- Appearance: Poured a nice golden amber color with a light frothy head that disappeared quickly
- Smell: Probably my favorite part, citrus fruit, (oranges and grapefruit) and slight piney hoppy aroma
- Taste: Surprisingly balanced in flavor considering the overpowering citrus aroma. Malty and grainy at first however it quickly transforms and the citrus hops and piney hops come through finishing with a decent amount of bitterness and a very piney hoppy aftertaste.
- Feel: Medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation.
- Overall: This beer is definitely for the IPA lover and not for the casual beer drinker. If you haven't had and IPA before I wouldn't start with this. Not my favorite IPA however it has decent drinkability and I would buy it again. I would have liked the citrus hop flavor to come through a bit more and a little less of a bite on the finish. Cheers!
Thursday, March 22, 2012
- Appearance: Pours dark, however it has some nice light brown hues that swirl through.
- Smell: Molasses, boozy, and with hints of chocolate
- Taste: Again the alcohol came through with a boozy taste, kind of warming, caramel, molasses, hint of chocolate and a bit of an earthiness
- Feel: Slightly carbonated, light and airy, without an alcohol burn...at 8.5% alc.volume!
- Overall: It's complex flavors keep me from drinking it over and over, its got so much flavor you could probably even have this beer as a dessert. Cheers!
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Monday, March 12, 2012
Sunday, March 11, 2012
Saturday, March 10, 2012
Friday, March 9, 2012
Thursday, March 8, 2012
7 out of 10 :) Cheers!